Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, 30 March 2008

Info Post






We visited Phuket after a long bus journey from Hat Yai in February 2008.

When we arrived at the bus terminal it was past 8PM, the town itself has got only
accomodation for tourist arriving with groups and thus do not cater to single travellers or backpackers. For that you need to go out of town to various beach areas usually about a few miles out of town.

At that hour of the night it was impossible to find decent and cheap mode of transport (usually available from 6 AM to 6PM) so we were at the mercy of touts
asking the exorbitant fares of 400BHT to to one of those beaches.

We were shocked to find that even the tourist bureau (across from the bus terminal) was telling us to take one of these pirate taxis (pirate because private citizens using their own vehicles) to get to wherever we wanted.

Reluctantly, we took one to go to Karon beach (about 20KM from the bus terminal)

We were after cheap accomodation and was following the info that was published
in my Lonely Planet guide. But when we arrived at our chosen destination we found out that, it was closed due to renovations and that they will no longer offer
dormitory facilities. We then asked the driver to go slow on the main road so that we can locate possible cheap accomodation, he got quite nasty and told us that his fare was to get us from Phuket bus terminal to Karon beach. I said that I will give him extra fare if he complied. Despite his acceptance once we had looked and refused to take, what was a few expensive place, he again got agitated and said that it was impossible to find accom. for less than 1000BHT per night.



As we were cruising on the main road we saw a sign right on top of a restaurant that said "Room for rent" I asked the driver to stop so that I can check it out. I came back and told him that I had found out what I was looking for. I told him that the room was a single room with color tv, air-con and a bathroom/shower
right across the room for 400BHT PER NIGHT!(About USD12.66 approx.)

Upon hearing this, we quickly left the taxis and it's agitated driver to go into the restaurant and register.

The room was one storey up on the main dining room and was quite comfortable and the bathroom/shower was just 2 steps across our room.

We stayed for 2 nights and made friends with the young woman owner, who asked
us to tell everybody about her restaurant.

Her menu is extensive albeit pricey as we found out, therefore we did not eat at her restaurant.

Right diagonally across her place was a Thai eatery and we thought we'll give them a go.



They also had an extensive array of foods displayed out in the open, it looked pretty appetising, but, I was fearful of getting what the backpapers call a "Bali Belly" meaning that I might have a nasty bout of diarrhea, after the meal.

However, I said to myself "what the heck" and we sat down and ordered a few different dishes and a couple of bottled water.

As we were eating we could see the traffic and enjoyed the atmosphere and the view.


When it was time to leave we asked for the bill and was very pleasantly surprised
when we were told to pay 180BHT (USD5.70 approx.)

I might add a foot note to this story by telling you guys that I did NOT have a Bali Belly afterwards!

Good travels to you all.

Harry Yuruten

0 comments:

Post a Comment